Redland: RUBRA TERRA, Redland Court and Redland High

Author:

Jennifer Allen-Williams

Price: £18.00

Additional Description More Details

Redland: Rubra Terra, Redland Court and Redland High School is a book which will appeal to historians, sociologists, educators, pupils and ex-pupils of the Redland High School, parents and prospective parents and those who live in the district. A glance at the colour of the soil gives an explanation of the name. A legacy of Roman occupation was revealed when Roman coins were dug up on Redland Green. The Valor Ecclesiasticus refers to manor lands at Redland and ‘manor’ implies a ‘manor house’. The Manor of Thrylande was purchased in 1552 by John Foxton who sold the estate to Egion Wilson, who, with his son, built a residence in about 1556. The property continued to be family-owned until it was sold in 1604 to Sir Richard Hill who sold on to Dr Jeremy Martin. The Martin family passed the estate including the mortgages to John Cossins, husband of Gregory Martin’s cousin, Martha Innys. The Tudor house was demolished in 1730 and between 1732 and 1735 the elegant Georgian building known as Redland Court was built for John Cossins. The property changed hands several times after his death and in 1885 the Redland High School for Girls moved into Redland Court. It is remarkable that very little of the house – a Grade II listed building – has been changed from the original design, although in its function and use as a school for girls various buildings have been added over the years. In 2012 the School celebrates its 130th anniversary. The school’s archives have been used extensively to tell its story. ISBN: 978-1-908326-07-2 Softback Profusely illustrated with archive photographs

Jennifer Allen-Williams
Loading Updating cart...

Shipping:£0.00

shopping basket 0 items

Shopping Cart

0

Your shopping cart is empty

Visit the bookshop